Admissions forms for Pre School September 2023 need to be returned by 9th June, see Key Information, Admissions.
Home Page

Free School Meals

Universal Infant Free School Meals or Free School Meals?


Currently in the UK there are two different schemes running to support parents/carers. 


First, is the Universal Infant Free School Meal scheme (UIFSM). This scheme provides funding for ALL children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 to access a free daily school meal. This is a national scheme and the school is funded based on the number of children who have a school meal on Census Day. We will write to parents in these years in advance of each termly census to ask for their support in ensuring we obtain the maximum funding.


Secondly, there is the Free School Meals funding based on individual family circumstances such as income and whether a family is receiving benefits. The qualifying benefits to receive free school meals for children in Year 3 and over are:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Support under Part IV of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (provided you are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit, and your annual gross income does not exceed £16,190 as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs)
  • Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
  • Universal Credit (during the initial roll-out of this benefit)

 If a child qualifies for Free School Meals, they will also receive support from the school in the form of trip subsidies. The school receives a grant each year known as Pupil Premium and this grant is based on the number of children who are in receipt of the means based Free School Meals. Many families are not aware that they could benefit from the scheme. If you think you might, we urge you to contact Central Bedfordshire Council who will provide a quick assessment. Please follow the link below to find out more. Alternatively, you can phone the school if you have any questions.