Our Unique Context
Southcott has a good reputation within Leighton Buzzard for our nurturing approach and provision of a well-rounded and accessible education. Southcott is an inclusive school with an emphasis on the development of the whole child and a commitment to individual success and achievement. These are things we are very proud of.
The school has identified the following challenges and/or barriers to learning which our curriculum needs to address through learning in lessons, wider experiences and opportunities and the relationships we form.
- Special educational needs and disabilities presenting challenges for some children.
- Limited language acquisition and weak communication skills for some children.
- SEMH difficulties impacting on learning and development of independence for some children.
- Financial challenges for some families.
- A lack of diversity in children and staff (reflective of our local community).
How do our core values seek to address these challenges and barriers?
- Understanding that we are all different, but equally important.
- Being polite and demonstrating good manners.
- Treating others as we would wish to be treated.
- Looking after our school and the people and things in it.
- Finding the strength to persevere when things are tricky.
- Understanding that making mistakes is part of learning.
- Working through ups and downs in our relationships.
- Being happy for others when things do not go our way.
- Contribute ideas, actively listen and encourage others freely.
- Cooperate with and include others.
- Be reliable and demonstrate that you trust and can be trusted.
- Reflect on the impact of your words and actions.
- Be curious and embrace new experiences.
- Behave and think positively to make your best effort.
- Accept and ask for help and support.
- Be proud of your own success and the success of others.